1930 Dodge truck, not a Fargo

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard tell from the photos but they make it look like the engine is to the drivers side? I have done that on purpose before for a steering issue, in a tuff truck, and it didn't hurt anything. If that is not it, then no I can't see it.

Good guesses guys. The diagonals on the crossmember I meant to make room for exhaust pipes. One side is okay, the other is not.

Just caught up on your progress Bob, looking good as usual. I did a similar axle flip on my 55 Chev pickup 50 years ago (wait, what - was it that long ago?? Yikes!), I welded tabs on made from 1/2" plate instead of one single plate, then cut off the stock mounts. People often freak out about welding on these axles, but I've never had any failures.
BTW, I'm always impressed how you gather up old tin that many would pass on and create cool vehicles, making honey out of dog poo...😁

Thanks zz, I appreciate it. I have narrowed a half dozen front axle with no problems.
On to the back half of the frame. Naturally there is a kick up to deal with. I decided to have a 4 1/2 foot long box so the rear frame is sized accordingly. Made the front spring mounts from 3/16" plate. The shackle mount is a piece of very thick wall tubing to be welded in the frame. I'm hoping no "C" notch of the rail will be necessary.
20240402_125115.jpg
20240402_125121.jpg
20240402_132154.jpg

Made a pair of spring perches out of 2" by 4" rectangular tubing with a drill press, hole saw and angle grinder with a cut off wheel. Pulled the drums using some heat and a big hammer. Took 2 leaves out of each spring. Centered the rear end, set the pinion angle and tack welded the perches. A set of 4 Truspoke wire wheels came into my possession. Will probably use them.
20240405_133520.jpg
20240406_124526.jpg

Had a friend loose a nice street rod because of one of those wire wheels failing. Heard of a few more guys that had problems with them as well. Haven't had much faith in them since then.

My friend Jerry has had them on his '37 Chevy for 45 years. No problems ever. There's plenty of other things on the cars I build that one can worry about.

Thank you to everyone that is following along. I appreciate it. Not very exciting but in the process of mounting rear shocks. The upper mount has to be spaced in to clear the leaf spring. The lower mounts were made from 3/16" flat stock cut out with a hole saw and a cut off wheel.
20240410_185114.jpg

Front shock mounts next. Then the cab goes on the chassis. That will be it for this project until fall. Got other projects to wrap up. And a summer of fun with cars.

Here it is as is and the second shot is with the rear raised 4 1/2". Now was think I need to put some forward tilt on the cab. Any opinions?
20240413_162347.jpg
20240413_162210.jpg

Latest posts

Back