1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plymmieseats005.jpg

Well, the tan plaid seats are now dyed black. Wish I would have used a satin black but they'll be ok. The adhesion promotor spray and the dye itself are pretty strong and I was a bit goofy (goofier than usual) for a while after doing the seats.
PIcked up some rubber type carpet runner from a home improvement store and began carpeting the floor with it.

Lucky Devil 13, Yes that is the paint I'm considering. I can't visualize any color than black looking good in flat though.

PlyGrilleGate008.jpg

Did some straightening on the rear fenders and they are now out for sandblasting and epoxy primer.
The grille was pushed in as shown by the chrome nose strip on the table. Got it quite straight by laying it on the floor and parking a front wheel on it. Plus a lot of pulling, clamping and hammer and dolly work and a little welding.

Took the big dents out of the front fenders, straightened the wheel opening beads and welded some cracks.

PlyGrilleGate002.jpg

Made some simple brackets for the '38 Chevy tail lights. Bolted the "Plymouth" tailgate cutout on to the home made tailgate with allen button head bolts. Next I'll finish the wiring to the rear lights, including a trailer connection. Then more dent removal in the box sides.

Yes, that flat/satin dark blue looks very good. Thanks for posting, Sam.[cl

The goal is to get this thing on the road by summer. Waiting for my tax refund for the next wave of expenditures.[P

nice job on the tailgate, my box was in rough shape as well, had to rebuild the top rails and pretty much the whole tailgate like you did, it looked like the previouse owner use it to pick rocks for 40 years and was throwing them from 30 feet away! Trucks are made to get used i suppose.

I really like the Plymouth insert and the bolts looks great.

You might like the mock up Sam Fear did on some front grill mods on my fargo, your plymouth grill looks pretty much the same, it in my build post link below.

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19425

PlyFenderBodywork009.jpg

How do you spell bodywork??? H-A-T-E Got the rear fenders back from the sandblaster and they were very thin. I coated the undersides with Duraglass as well as the top sides. Then I applied Bondo to take out the ripples, etc. Still a ways to go on the rears. Tomorrow I pick up the front sheetmetal and will have some dent removal and skim coating there too.

My Plymmie rat rod project has kind of morphed into a street rod. But not too fancy. I even put a billet license plate frame/light on it.:eek:

Thanks for the kind remarks. They really are motivational.

Yes, I really like the headlight Photoshop that Sam Fear did. For now, my Plymmie will get the stockers and have that stupid bug eye look.

I've started watching Craigslist for Chevy Rally wheels.

AHH, Bondywork !! I hate it too !! Much rather be welding stuff together...... I was at a custom motorcycle shop on the weekend to find some neat tail lights for my Mini T and saw the KOOLEST headlights - Indian Motorcycle repops, they were a teardrop shape sort of like a free standing 37 Ford . I'm not sure if they would look right on the PLY but certainly would look good on your Fiat. The Plymouth is coming along nicely tho [cl.

PlyFrontFender001.jpg

I've been welding, filling and sanding fenders so much that I halucinated and started seeing yellow pigs with pink polka dots crawling on my work.:eek: Three fenders are done and the last one (pictured) is close. The fenders are pretty thin so picking and filing wasn't an option.

Thanks for the tip on the headlights, ZZ. I'll be back working on the Fiat in the fall.

Last edited:
take it from a guy with 15+ years of off-and-on bodyshop experience....when you see the pigs crawling around your work.... STEP AWAY FROM THE BONDO AND SEEK REST IMMEDIATELY! LOL seriously tho doin great keep us posted[P

Has anyone been near your R/C cola? That's when I start seeing polka dot piggies.:eek:

Last edited:
1940 Plymouth truck

It's great to see 40's era MoPars being brought back. Personally, I think they're the last of the affordable tin out there.
Then again, try falling in love with this face........

Attachments

• Desoto Grille.jpg
    Desoto Grille.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 36
PlyRims002.jpg

I picked up four rusty, grungy five slot steel wheels cheap on Craigslist. Jerry the Sandblaster dusted them off for me. Then I shot them with etching primer and painted the backs black. I painted the fronts with Rebuilders Cast Iron paint. Tried for a Magnesium look. Here's what I got.
I needed a break from body work so I finished the under dash wiring. Recieved the last two gauges from Speedway and installed the gauge panel. Now it's back to smoothing the box sides.

Latest posts

Back