1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I really like the headlight Photoshop that Sam Fear did. For now, my Plymmie will get the stockers and have that stupid bug eye look.

For the record, that was Snake Farmer that did the PS work.

Right there with ya BobW - I HATE sanding.

PlyBoxPaint005.jpg

I got all the major lumps and dents out of the fenders & box. Found some lacquer primer on eBay, in New Jersey. Painted the fenders last week and the box and tail gate today. There is a bottom coat of epoxy primer, then high build polyester primer and red lacquer primer on top. I think I'll run with the red primer as the finish coat for a while.

PlyBoxPaint002.jpg

Here's a more accurate pic of the color.
Regarding headlight placement, which was brought up a page or two ago; the Plymouth trucks mounted the headlights lower and more inboard than the Dodge and Fargo trucks. They look a little less Frog-eyed.

lookin good Bob! love the tail gate. came out sweet. color will be right on. [P

Great way to have that red primer look without water soaking through it and turning it into "rusty red primer"..........that's one patina I never cared for personally but I LOVE red primer [cl[cl

BTW I just noticed I've never commented on this build......but I've been watching since my "lurking days" :D
Truck is looking great! [P[P[P

Primer Frenzy

PlyPrimer001.jpg

Even though it was very humid, I threw caution, good judgement and neatness out the window and primered the cab and other remaining parts. I think the weather conditions caused the gray tiger stripes.

Thanks to everyone that has followed this build and made favorable comments. This project is bigger than the typical fenderless hot rods I build and your support has helped keep me motivated.

002-3.jpg

A few minutes with a scuff pad and the gray tiger stripes are pretty well gone. I'll probably shoot the whole truck again once it is all assembled.

i think its coming along nicely....can't wait to see some final assembly...and if you don't use that 406, my mailing address is......[ddd

Ply305002.jpg

Here's something you don't see very often. A small block Chevy going into a different brand of truck.:rolleyes: It's a little 305 HO with a 700r4. It should push my Plymmie truck around adequately though. I have other cars for going fast.
The main point is this is the final assembly, finally. I'd like to drive it around the block in a month.
It is a Craigslist engine and transmission so problems could arise. The engine did check out with very good compression and it is clean inside. Transmission pan inside was spotless.

HRP, sorry I can't send the 406 engine your way. I have another home for it.
E-Man your subtile hint is well taken.
ronnysplymouth, I'll use more thinner next time. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
PlyFinalAssy008.jpg

Got the rear fenders bolted on for hopefully the last time. Had to rework the home made running board brackets. Lots of time installing all the small stuff.

PlyFinalAssy010.jpg

The rear fenders are very long which is good cuz they hide the lumpy part of the box sides. Kinda art-deco looking.

Latest posts

Back