1940 Plymouth Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlyAltBrkt001.jpg

Thanks for the kind remarks, guys. It is appreciated.

I made an alternator bracket today. Saved $45 as I kinda copied one in the Speedway catalog. This is the second one I've made for the truck. First one was ugly and blocked the heater hose outlet in the intake manifold. Probably have $300 in labor making alternator brackets.

Slowly getting more parts installed on the truck. And I have a large shopping list for small stuff. Belts, hose clamps, hose, nuts & bolts and so on.

PlyAssy001.jpg

Been assembling all the engine junk. Some things fit, others don't. Spent a lot of time cleaning and painting an intake manifold only to find out it was for Vortec heads. So I cleaned and painted another manifold. I rebuilt a Q-jet carb. Converted the electric fan from pusher to puller and moved the radiator forward 3". Didn't like the routing of the power steering pressure hose so I took it to a hydraulic hose place where we cut it into little pieces and threw it away. That wasn't the plan but that's what happened. I'll get an all new hose from them in the morning.
Even though it doesn't look any farther along than a week or so ago, it really is. I'm enthusiastic about getting it running and driving in a couple weeks.
It got so hot & humid that my garage floor broke out in a sweat. Even had puddles. I had to close it up and run a dehumidifier for 3 days. It's about 90 degrees in there but at least I don't have to lay in water.

looking good, bob... those statements about all the little things....they literally give me fits! i am really liking the look of your truck, the only thing i am disappointed in is not getting your 406 mailed to me!;):D

it's ok, i just hopped up my lil 350 and it'll do fine....for now[ddd

PlyCloser009.jpg

Most of the junk in the engine compartment is hooked up. Almost time to add fluids and see how many different ones make puddles on the floor. Picked up a driveshaft and will drop it off tomorrow for shortening.

PlyCloser010.jpg

Gonna throw a set of hot rod headlights on the front and drive it for a short time without the front tin. Lots easier to adjust and fix things without those fat fenders in the way.

PlyCloser006.jpg

HRP, sorry about not sending you the left over 406. My Model A has been languishing in the corner of the back garage for 3 or 4 years now. The 283 is very tired. Looks like a place to bolt a 406. I need to get this thing back on the road.

PlymmieHorns008.jpg

Here's my pretty new driveshaft. It was made by the nicest guy in Hudson, Wisconsin. Great work and good price. One day service too.

PlymmieHorns006.jpg

When my son & I put a chopped '49 Plymouth 4 door together a few yers ago we didn't use the horns. So now they are on the truck. You look at these things and realize that the designers really cared about the sound the horns made. They have a very melodic sound and are quite loud as they now see 12 volts instead of 6.

The lights are there temporarily so I can test drive around the neighborhood without Sgt. Pontiac or Gassergarage giving me a ticket.:D

PlymmieHorns006.jpg

The lights are there temporarily so I can test drive around the neighborhood without Sgt. Pontiac or Gassergarage giving me a ticket.:D

Did I mention I have a new day job? Lets see, no bumper, too low, no fenders, etc! I see some citations in your future! LOL! Not from me though. [cl

PlymmieRuns003.jpg

Added all the fluids today. What you are looking at is the Floor Dry soaking up water, power steering fluid, ATF, brake fluid & differential lube. I think I have all the leaks fixed.

jfg455, I knew you were now on the force, but I couldn't recall your RRR name as I was typing. With my Collector license plates a lot of requirements go away.

Shea, I have recieved mucho grief for those cow seat covers in the Model A.

zzrodder, you mean't to post your reply in a different thread. Nice to have you looking at my simple little project though.

PlymmieRuns004.jpg

With all the fluids in I decided to pour a little gas down the Q-jet. Amazingly it started immediately! So I went to the station and got a couple gallons of non-oxy gas. Again, it started right up. I tweeked the idle mixture a bit. Haven't even set the timing.

It appears that the $200 Craigslist 305 is a good, solid engine. Sure hope the 700R4 proves to be equally serviceable.

I'll line up the Mustang II front end with my Howe race car alignment tool, four plumb bobs and a couple tape measures.

Gotta order all the rubber for the windows, doors, cowl, etc. from Andy Birnbaum and make templates for all the glass. Getting close.

Last edited:
PlyAlmost001.jpg

This project has been kicking my butt. Had to rebuild the power steering pump to stop the leak, Took the Corvette servo out of the 700r4 and stuck a stock one in. Also replaced the shift bracketry inside the trans. It now shifts at the right time and smoothly. I aligned the front end. Have been driving it around the neighborhood with no windshield. Very windy, have to wear goggles. Got the nose and the doors on today.

It runs good for a $200 Craigslist 305 sbc. The ride and brakes seem very good.
Still a lot to do but I'm pretty satisfied with the results.

Last edited:
PlyAlmost004.jpg

It looks all out of proportion without the front fenders. I didn't intend to spend all summer working on the truck. Badly misjudged how long it would take. I can't wait to get back to real hot rod building.

Latest posts

Back