1st build, 1933 olds rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

well well, where do i start.

i picked up a 1933 oldsmobile that is quite different from most 2 door of the same era. 1 of the main thing is the rear beaver tail (thats what i call it) on the back.

it had a 114.5" wheel base. i got it set out to a 124" right now but with nothing there you really can tell the change.

i spent about 2hrs today trying to get the body back in line on the oem frame, but it wasnt working. once i got the door lined up on the front i would loose it when i went to the rear of the door. i was getting pised lol. so i rounded up the troops, momma and the kids and told them to meet in the garage, off the body went.

i then spent an hour away from it. went to pick up some angle iron and some 1" sq tubing, couple junk larger tires from the local tire shop for mock up. went to the rod and custom shop to ask question and got a bite to eat while i was out.

enough bla bla bla.
time for some pictures

i figured it had to have its last photo shoot with all the parts i have for it, she will not be the same after today, lol.

1933olds1001.jpg

1933olds1003.jpg

1933olds1005.jpg

1933olds1011.jpg

well i looked and looked for a great place to support the car so i can get it back in line.

the rear was easy, and got it leveled. the front took a little more time, but i ended up going off the brackets the hold the sun visor.

i worked on the driver side door for some time tonight. but i got it fitting pretty close, just need to fine tune it some. tomorrow morning ill finish the diverside then off to the pass side.

another thing i need to figure out is, the amount of roll the middle and bottom of the sides need to be. if there was a floor or running boards that would have anwsered the question at hand. so i got to wing it.

1933olds1053.jpg

1933olds1055.jpg

1933olds1056.jpg

thats agood lookin sedan. are you going to use the frame,fenders or not?whats the plan im wondering

i dont plan to use the frame. i want to go fenderless, but want to slap them on there after its done to see what it might look like.

but a 454, manual tranny are on the list.

That thing is remarkably complete and has wonderful texture. If it was mine, I'd replace the body wood with steel and make a decent floor for it....and then use the body as is. Swap in a small block and do whatever it takes to make a decent driver. Put glass in it and drive it.

Save your big block and 4 speed for a more common car.

Yeah, I know its your car, but man, it would be a shame to hack that car up.

Last edited:
Surfing the web looking for 33 olds pics. That appears to be a pretty rare car. Not much out there.

I did find a brochure for 33 olds and it looks like that grill doesn't belong to that car. The grill should look like this:

main.php

Edit: Nope, I found one with a grill like yours. Maybe that grill is for six cylinder models?

history4.jpg

Cur0404-11.jpg

Cur0404-10.jpg

Sweet pics! You look like you went to the E-man school of photography!

The one with the rusty knob and dash and colum is 'composed' brings a smile.. Many of the shots are that way.

Maybe just the car? Or-Maybe you don't need to build--maybe ya just need to take pics?? :)

I'm with Flipper on the direction--You rarely get a car that all the pieces--Need to use em all--strip another project.. Not saying 'restore' just maximize what comes to you--not minimize.

All's good--be a nice rat however you go. Unique.

PA41

What was I thinking?

That thing needs a nicely detailed Olds Rocket under the hood.

Last edited:
flipper, that last shot of the grill with someone holding it, was it a for sale pic?

im not slicing and dicing the car, well a chop might happen. lol.

the pic of the dash, column and knob kinda looked like a good screen saver pic if ya ask me.

im still working on the driver side door, cowl, body area. maybe im looking at it wrong but i want to get all the lines really really close before i start to replace the wood and giving it some metal to hold other than my temp bracing.

pics will come soon.

Carnut doesn't even have a 1933 Olds in his collection of pics. Here is a 34. It's pretty close. Imagine a rusty version of this. ...too freakin' cool if you ask me.

nat112.jpg

Here's one with a chop. Not sure if it is an improvement. That car had a nice roofline from the start.

nat559.jpg

Not sure if it is an improvement. That car had a nice roofline from the start.

I was thinking the same thing, with the windsheild appearing to be slightly slanted back and the smaller window openings already there, it woudl look good not chopped...

Definatly a cool car, thanks for sharing with us.:D

dam flipper, lol.

i do like the grill shell off of those 2 rides. i also notice they have the trunk back and not the beaver tail like mine, different fenders as well.

finialy got the driver side done. the passenger side is moving along better but not there yet.

olds33001.jpg

olds33002.jpg

olds33004.jpg

olds33006.jpg

olds33008.jpg

From the little bit of looking that I did, the 2 door sedan with the beaver tail appears to be pretty freakin' unusual/rare. Also 1933 is a one year only body style (grill shell at least).

flipper, ive been searching and searching for one like it. i found a coupe and tons of 2 and 4 door with the trunk.

Latest posts

Back