47 chevy chop first time

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I predict one test drive and then it gets parted out. ....or impounded and crushed.

All depends on whether its his choice or somebody else's.

IMGP0335.jpg

IMGP0336.jpg

IMGP0333.jpg

IMGP0334.jpg

i know it needs a panhard bar. i have not done any brakes, fuel lines, or wiring yet. i just what to do parades and car shows.

I think if you fully weld up your additional gussets you have in place it should be pretty strong. I would also box the frame at the point where you new red support tube connects to it. Seriously, better safe than sorry and doesnt cost much more to do it right (or over-do it).

Panhard would be a must as well.

You still have the bump-stops in place on the front susp? If so, it won't ride all that bad unless you hit a big one.

Take your time, if you don't catch the first car show, the next will be around soon enough. Unless you plan on trailering it to the car shows, you'll still need to make it road-worthy

How are your coil-overs attached to the axle? If it is a bolt welded to the axle tube, I can see that being a potential problem.

Also, I would move the coilovers outward for more stability. Move the lower mount to the tailend of your suspension links and the upper mounts closer to the frame rails.

Rustbucketracin...you'er getting some good advice here, follow up on it and build your truck safe and reliable and you'll be much happier with it. Keep posting progress pictures and we'll try to help you get it done right.

I have honestly sat and tried to type out a response no less than 3 times, after viewing the build pics. Since the title states it's his first time, I didn't want to come off like a dhick.

Honestly I see several safety factors at risk here. One of them being the work done for "the chop". Consider this one a learning project. And practice some welding techniques ect. I for one would be horrified to see how the occupants conditions had even a lil Honda were to t-bone or sideswipe this build. The roof looks to me like it no longer supports a stuctural purpose, if this build was tagged it would fold up. The rear frame stucture, well it looks like you left a bit of the main frame after the cab wall, I suggest you get the sawzaw out and start cutting that mess off there.

We all have to start somewhere, but that is seriously unsafe. Accidental situations even happen in parades...........

Good luck, it's a fun hobby with great people. I'm sure loads of us will steer you in the proper directions. Just fire away with the questions.:D

Let's try to keep the comments on the constructive side gents. This isn't KB after all (Rule #1 if I recollect)

Project is far from unsalvagable. Nothing I see here that more time, welded steel and sage advice won't fix.

Okay, it is time for some sage advise.

One reason we chime in on a build like this is for your own safety. The second reason is for the safety of others on the road. The third reason, is if you crash it, it hurts all of us and gives our hobby a bad name. We all have to start somewhere, and any build lets you learn something. Here is what you should have learned so far.
1. Chops are hard to do and make them come out really well. But it is only cosmetics, and is probably as safe as a convertible in an accident.
2. There are only a hand full of rear suspension types that work. Experimental suspensions should be left to engineers and very seasoned builders.
3. The cheapest way, is not always the best way.
4. The guys on this site can be too nice. There are several guys who have not said anything, because they don't want drive home negatives, ( if you don't have something nice to say....)
5. We are behind you all the way. We want to see you build and drive a rat rod. But we want you to be safe.

All that being said, you have a great start, but don't be afraid to cut some stuff off and re-build it. Think of the experiance you will gain. You don't have to spend alot of cash to build a cool rat. But don't cut corners that will put you in the hospital. Don't rush it.

A good rat has a scary look to it but the brakes, steering, and suspension, are sound, no compromise.

I have honestly sat and tried to type out a response no less than 3 times, after viewing the build pics.

Same here!!!

RBR, You need to hook up with some local builders that are willing to share their knowledge with you, and I'm sure that there would be lots of fellas that would rather help you than encounter this contraption on the road. You seem to have a very keen interest in building what could be a cool machine, I suggest you:
a: Do some (a lot of) research on frame design and fabrication. (and top chops)
b: Ask questions before you jump in with both feet.
c: Start off slowly. I know you want to build the coolest rod on the planet (and it shows) but you don't have the knowledge or skills YET. Maybe put this project on the back burner and try something a little less involved to get some experience.
d: Stop scaring people!
e: Find some local enthusiasts and entice them with beer and pizza to come and check out your build and encourage them to give you all the advice they can.
f: Listen to the advice you are given!
g: don't get discouraged, we all have to start somewhere.

I hope we aren't being too hard on you, we're just trying to make sure you build a SAFE rod. We don't want you to learn the hard way. Like BH said, we don't want to see you (or innocent bystanders) in the hospital.

Good luck and keep us posted.

build

RBR, as you can see by the last three posts, most of these guys on here have a great deal of experience as well as a willingness to share, and help on your build, dont be afraid to ask. it may be a rat, but it still has a safety standard to live up to, AND being a rat will prolly be judged more than the normal rod as far as safety, looks ect,

i think you have a great start, and we all have had great starts, re-starts, and do overs, i save tons of pics in files, of everything i see about other peoples build is like having tons of information or books FOR FREE!

just dont get dicouraged, mad, hurt feelings, and quit. good ol' MR. FORD did things wrong a million times before his first one even made it out of his basement. lol. he didnt fail he just found a million ways not to build a car. but in the end, he did it and look now.

dont pay attention to the guys slinging mud here, as some of them have nothing more to offer, thats all.

but please look at some of the builds on here and other sites and ask about everything. while we have all heard the storys of "well my buddy did it and this guy knows someone who did it this way, ect.ect. its all about putting something together to make it work safely, for you, your family, friends and others to enjoy. you will find that the BUILD is as much fun as the parades you wish to drive in.

keep in mind parts are supost to work a certain way, flipping shocks upside down is like, using a piece of rope to tow a car, may work. may come loose and cause major hurt. keep in mind the forces on your build are from every dirrection AND every amount every weld should be able to withstand the force of a 40 mph crash.....

notice in the pics attacted none of these welds broke, THE METAL TORE! do you know how much force it takes to tear 1/4 inch thick metal. now go back and ask youself, will my build hold up?? thats what i do. goodluck

Attachments

• dragway 42 010.jpg
    dragway 42 010.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 79
  • dragway 42 039.jpg
    dragway 42 039.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 72
  • dragway 42 036.jpg
    dragway 42 036.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 57
  • dragway 42 020.jpg
    dragway 42 020.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 79
You are getting some great advice. First off let me say that you are doing it and that's a lot more than some people can say. You are cutting/welding and (hopefully) learning and gaining experience.
AD Chebys on S10 frames can make a cool ride but in my opinion neither of them should be fenderless, especially not the S10 frame. The front suspension is butt ugly and it almost always ends up with the radiator sticking way out in the next county. The bed placement is all wrong, try to line it up with the cab more like it left the factory. I would also advise that you redirect your focus of getting the truck as low as possibly by whittling away the springs. Also the rear suspension, don't try to reinvent the wheel here. get rid of those junkyard coilovers. Study other rods and find something simple that works. A friend of mine got trailer leafs from tractor supply for a pittance and did parallel leafs. He got them tucked up where he wants and they work good, a bit stiff but not too bad. Best of all simple and safe.
But don't give up. Just back up, take a breath and go ahead on it. Don't be afraid to cut something apart and redo it if it don't come out right. don't worry about the chop and body alignment, get the suspension right and safe first.

Good job on your first go! Im new here so I wont get into what looks to be already covered here. With my experience with chops it's critical that you have a well thought out plan on how its going to go back together. And keep in mind... Everything is fixable and there is more than one way to get the job done. You just have to experience the different techniques needed to accomplish the end results you desire. By about the 5th or 6th chop it starts coming fairly easy. :rolleyes: Great job and props to you for tackling a fairly diffuicult task.

LOL..now thats funny

"Dont pay attention to the guys slinging mud they have nothing more to offer.." That was pretty funny...LMAO....When you post on an open forum,expect everything and grow some tough skin..Hmmm..I was told that VERY thing when I joined and heard a bunch of negative comments too...KEEP BUILDING :D:D

Latest posts

Back