"Don't Know" Build start

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm just about to give up on a hood and fenders of any kind. I cut the Ford hood and managed to get the bow pretty close. That's about it. Everything I've set up for side panels, look like cr@p. I cut one of the Ford fenders to fit but, the body lines go up, instead of down in the front. Really looked bad. Then I tried the leftover hood material and that wasn't very much better. Maybe I ought to just fix the grill area and firewall and leave the engine open. Any thoughts on that?? Thanks. Later.

Attachments

• Hood 1.jpg
    Hood 1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 66
  • Hood 2.jpg
    Hood 2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Hood.jpg
    Hood.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 84
You are trying to put square pegs on a round peg. It's just not going to look right without the sharp edges and no gentle curves. I know it's what you have, but I wouldn't even bother messing around with those F150 parts anymore - too angular. If you take all the underbracing off the hood and cut off the front section so you have a flat piece with a ridge down the center, you might be able to give that a nice curve to the sides. I didn't think you were going to run fenders at all. Where did the Ghia hood go?

If anything, maybe you should just throw the lights you have on it, not worry about the grill and hood until you find what you need, and get it on the road as is until you do.

Yep, that Ford stuff just won't work. I tried one more time for a grill but, that's still top secret until I find out what it's going to look like a little later. I figured it was a good time to do something about some sheet metal where there's supposed to be a firewall. I'm doing the easy side first. Then the middle and the left side last. I took metal shop in high school but, we didn't get into working sheet metal. As usual, it's a learn as you go thing now. I just need more material to mess up. Later.

Attachments

• right firewall.jpg
    right firewall.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 34
Got a little done. My Dad has been having a few problems and I just can't seem to get focused lately. I'm working on a "new" idea for a grill. An old working buddy bought a bunch of sheet metal tools from a business that went belly-up. I'm going to try to get to his place next weekend and see what kind of self learning we can do. Rollers, benders, brakes, and a few things he didn't know what they did. It ought to be fun. That's all.

Attachments

• driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 66
  • grill 1.jpg
    grill 1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 76
  • grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 77
I haven't done much in a couple of months. Between working, my Dad getting old, problems around the house and just a lack of "get up and do it", I have been a little slow on this thing. I did manage to pull the body off so I can try to get the frame welded up and finish the rear end work. Of course, I had to re-board the trailer before I could use it. 30+ year old boards don't hold much anymore. It should be good for as long as I'm around.
I'm holding off working on other peoples crap for a while and do my own thing. This VW thing is wanting to roll.

Attachments

• 0331131813.jpg
    0331131813.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 0331131817b.jpg
    0331131817b.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 70
I did get time to do a little. Air shocks mounted top and bottom. I cut up some old computer tower sides and layed out some floor panels. I'll silicon those and rivet 'em down later. I've got a roll of what they call sound isolating material I'll put over that and some cheap carpet. I know it's not going to help with the exhaust but, it's going down anyway. And I did get the bar and mounts made that keep the rear end from moving sideways. I forget what that's called. I've got to get some shorter u-bolts to mount the bracket to the rear end housing.Next up, hopefully this week, is to pull the eng/trans out and box the frame in and finish the grinding and welding. I bought some 3/16 X 3 flat plate to put on the inside of the channel. It's adding more weight but, I think I've got enough motor to handle it. That's mainly the reason for boxing the frame, too much motor. All I can do is try it. I need to do a few tweaks to the motor mounts anyway. Then it will be to get the body back on in the right place so both the doors work. The Ghia had been wrecked and it twisted the body maybe and inch or so. I guess that's why it had been sitting in the weeds since 1971. That's all for now.

Attachments

• 0414131757.jpg
    0414131757.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 2013-04-14_221516.jpg
    2013-04-14_221516.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 38
Got the frame boxed in and some more bracing on the front. I'll probably make one more crossmember from motor mount to mount after the oil pan is finished. The frame is pretty stiff now. We'll see what it does after the eng/trans is back in. Next up is to clean up the frame and get some undercoating on it. I don't worry too much about it rusting out. I just need to cover up some not so pretty welding. Between not seeing very good and a not so steady hand, they are worth a little paint. :D After that, start putting things back together if all the parts are still where I put them. That's all.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 30
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 26
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 29
Thanks, Sarge. I wanted to get started on the sandblasting but we got about two inches of rain. Flooded out my little work area. I just cleaned up a little and started getting a few things cleaned up to start putting it back together. Only 20% chance of rain tomorrow. It was 40% today and we got 2". That means only 1" on Wednesday. Later.:)

Finally quit raining here in Michigan....

My rain gage said 5.5 inches in the last week....:eek: but today....sunny and dry and up to 79 degrees .....wow....typical MI. weather.....lol

It finally dried up a bit around here and now there's 30+ mph winds for a couple of days. Kind of chilly(for S.Texas anyway.),too.
I had to make a nipple for my remote oil filter. 3/4-16 NF bolt threads for both the adapter and the oil filter. Just took a bolt and drilled a half inch hole thru it. Then cut it off and cleaned up the threads. Works good. The original filter adapter has a long bolt to hold it to the block. When I put the motor in, I could swivel the adapter but, had to cut a notch in the frame for the bolt. Now that the frame is boxed in, that wasn't an option anymore. So, after doing a little work on the parts stores' computers, I got the adapter, for the block, as a little bonus. I had the filter part but it had a 1" thread. Must have been a fuel filter adapter. But, I did manage to remember this little problem before trying to re-install the motor.
Also cleaned up a few parts and got some cheap paint on them. I want it to look half way decent for a while. At least til I can take some pics. Later.

Attachments

• DSC08245.jpg
    DSC08245.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ¾ bolt with pilot..jpg
    ¾ bolt with pilot..jpg
    85 KB · Views: 36
  • 0503131749.jpg
    0503131749.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 0503131750.jpg
    0503131750.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 0503131817.jpg
    0503131817.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 0503131819.jpg
    0503131819.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 38
Here's my work for the day. Put the rear springs, shocks, and bar back together and finished cleaning and painting on the frame. Then stuck my once shiny 429 back in the hole. That's all.

Attachments

• 0505131451.jpg
    0505131451.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 0505131849b.jpg
    0505131849b.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 0505131551a.jpg
    0505131551a.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 74
Yeah, it should be ready to go. I've still got the title problem to deal with. Ghias are hard to find around here so, I not sure how I'm going to handle it. Something will turn up. Later.

I got the steering mostly done. Built a brace out of 3/8" flat bar to hold the steering shaft. It's all tight and works well. On to the next item.

Attachments

• 0510131748a.jpg
    0510131748a.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 0516131703.jpg
    0516131703.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 48
This working for a living is getting the way of my real work. I had to break down and get another real job. But, with three days off a week, I should be able to get something done now. I got the carb and air cleaner back on, hooked up the throttle cable, remounted the booster with a rebuilt master cylinder, and got the oil filter mounted. It's not in the ideal place but, without having four foot long hoses, it should be OK where it is. I wanted to keep it low so when it's got to be changed, it doesn't make a mess everywhere. Next up, again, is the e-brake. The cables are still attached to the rear end but I've got to find either a hand brake or e-brake foot pedal for it. I took one off an old Olds I used to have but my remember won't come up with where I put it. Typical. It'll show up the day after I get something else. That's all.

Attachments

• carb ac.jpg
    carb ac.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 53
  • mc.jpg
    mc.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 46
  • oil filter.jpg
    oil filter.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 48
Got the trans cooler mounted and hoses ran. Ran all four brake lines and got the rear hooked up. I built a couple of little brackets to hold the line/hose coupling. I had to do a little modification to the oil filter adapter. Seems the fitting was going to hit the frame. So, I drilled and tapped the inlet to come in the side. It'll work. And I made a heat shield to keep the header heat off my starter and motor mount. Used half the sheet metal from between the radiator and grill off my past '83 Ford p.u. I'll use the other half on the left side. That had been hanging in my shed for at least seven years and every time I'd see it, I wondered what I was saving it for. Now I know. That's all this time.

Attachments

• oil filter.jpg
    oil filter.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 28
  • trans 1.jpg
    trans 1.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 29
  • shield 2.jpg
    shield 2.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 26
  • cooler.jpg
    cooler.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 26
  • brakes 3.jpg
    brakes 3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 27
  • brakes 2.jpg
    brakes 2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 27
  • brakes 1.jpg
    brakes 1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 27
I had to break down and buy an oil filter adapter from Jegs. There just wasn't enough room for the fittings of the one I had. 44 bucks for the whole kit with hose. I spent 36 on just the fittings trying to get the "free" one to work.
I got the parking brake mostly done. I had to build a jackshaft to run the right hand cable. I still had one 1" rod left. Drilled and tapped the ends for a couple of old SBC flywheel bolts. Works good. On the Courier, that it's from, the right cable went across and connected along side of the left one. I couldn't find a good path for it to work that way. The driveshaft gets in the way. Still need to mount the brackets to hold the cables. And I have to extend what used to be the pedal, up about another eight inches with some sort of t-handle or knob at the top. It looks like it's in the way but, it shouldn't be when released. We'll see.
Next project will be to get the floorboards installed. If I don't run across some good sheet metal, I'll use some more of the old computer case metal. I really need something a little heavier and in one piece for each side. That's a wait and see deal too.
I'm out of a job again, so maybe I can continue on for a while. That's all.

Attachments

• ebrake 7a.jpg
    ebrake 7a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 21
  • ebrake 2.jpg
    ebrake 2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 21
  • ebrake 3.jpg
    ebrake 3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 21
  • ebrake 4.jpg
    ebrake 4.jpg