50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might help. Look at the weight bias front to rear.

2012 FORD MUSTANG
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

FUEL ECONOMY:
Six-speed manual 17 mpg city/26 mpg highway

BASE CURB WEIGHT:
Manual transmission 3,632 pounds
Weight distribution (front/rear) 55/45

Heh... well I calculated about 1800lbs this time over the rear just to be safe.

Moving the mounts down about 2.8" which should give me a static compression of 5.8"(fully loaded) or so which is on the safe side, 900LB/155LB/in = 5.8in per spring... hopefully that is right on the mark or close enough that I can tune it in from there.

Ok, forward progress again...

Ok, re-mocked up the rear spring mounts at an 1800lb static load estimate. (8" final sping length)

So, with the rear body on (minus a bunch of stuff), I'm 3.75-4" above final ride height which will allow me about 1100-1200 more lbs over the rear axle 500 of which is a fuel tank full of fuel. So I think with people in the truck, I should be good at ride height.

now, at the current height I set the shocks and they are at the end of their travel, so I may move down slightly when I make the final mounts...

Anyhow, on to the mockup pics, don't mind the shock brackets, they are just mock up and will be trimmed to shape later.

Attachments

• DSC04843.jpg
    DSC04843.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC04844.jpg
    DSC04844.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC04845.jpg
    DSC04845.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 74
If you have your front axle kicked out in front of the motor, that moves your center of gravity back greatly. So the Mustang comparison would be kinda off.

If you have your front axle kicked out in front of the motor, that moves your center of gravity back greatly. So the Mustang comparison would be kinda off.

Yea, I was just getting an idea as to what weight is on the rear of the stang... using those springs and shocks, etc...

Yea I sure am hoping that I get a good weight balance.... I think the weight estimate is much closer now to what it will be, but if its still off, I'll get 175 or 200 lb/in if necessary in the rear...

Thanks for listening, and all the input guys... this is my first go round with building from the ground up, and its a lot harder than people think to sort all this out... :eek:

Thanks for listening, and all the input guys... this is my first go round with building from the ground up, and its a lot harder than people think to sort all this out... :eek:

For many of us this is a great learning experience with lots of failures. What sets us apart from the rest of the people in the world is that we have the courage to stand back up and try again.

Took a break from the physical work tonight to draft up a crossmember for the trans, I need the full weight of the engine and transmission on the frame before I get going on the front suspension design...

No real drive tonight, not feeling all that well... Next week I'll hit it hard again...

The way you've been flogging at this lately....

You deserve a break...... sorry you're under the weather....hard not to be with this crazy crap we've been getting here.....

I wish I could agree with you, I need this thing rolling as soon as possible, I have a TON of sheet metal and wiring to do... brakes... steering... headers... a LOT to do....

Easy big guy... Racing doesn't start till your finished building it;)

Trouble is, that's usually when the building starts again. [S

Gold03

Yea, I'm just trying to take one area at a time and get it mocked up.
Rear mockup I believe is complete minus the panhard bar which i need to buy yet, probably just a stock mustang one since they are plentiful and cheap, and if I ever want an adjustable one for a mustang it will bolt right in.

Still have to finalize the rear shock mounts, gusset the spring mount, and put the centering post inside, but those are not on the top of my list.

Saturday I cut the plates to weld to the frame for the trans cross member. I need to order some 1.5x2.0 tubing for the x-member. Probably 3/16" wall, and I cant decide if I should run that straight across bolt in & make plates to go on top to get to the trans mount (about 3" above the x-member), or step up the tubing to where the trans is.... I don't think there is much load on the trans x-member as most of the torsional load will be on the motor mounts, and the rubber trans mount gives pretty good..

Trying to keep it as simple as I can and still have room for exhaust to run over the cross member...
if I get a chance I'll post some renderings of it, also have to have it at the bottom edge of the frame for brake MC clearance on the driver's side. Still have not really test fit the brake MC fully, I'm thinking I might be making my own brake arm to go on the stock pivot bracket to get things oriented properly...

Well thats about it til monday, busy weekend with the family.

ya know as the saying goes, don't get in a hurry to mess things up....... I know how you feel on wanting to get it done and all but perfection takes time!!

Right now the plan is on the frame rail, as there really is no room in the engine bay unless it was up high on the firewall, and I kinda want a clean look out there.

Transmission x-member mock up progress

Finally got my steel for the crossmember... ugh more $ than I wanted to spend, but not may people carry the size I needed.... anyhow...

Here is the mockup, hoping maybe tomorrow tacking the frame brackets together as well as opening up the holes on the top and bottom of the crossmember for studs/nuts...

So far looks like I have room for the brake booster and M/C. Also thinking of running the dual 2.5" tubes through the center area under the trans, as long as I can snake it around and avoid the brake MC, and trans pan area.

Tomorrow I'm also picking up a stock mustang panhard bar for $20.

Anyhow, on to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC04846.jpg
    DSC04846.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04847.jpg
    DSC04847.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04849.jpg
    DSC04849.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 78

Latest posts