50s Ford F1 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Closing in on that roller status!!! Keep it up maybe we will be able to go for some cruises this coming summer!!!!

That is the plan man!

I'm getting closer to the correct tank with Roush! hoping to have something lined up soon...
cross your fingers for me... :)

Been reading the roush manual a little so I completely understand the function of the multivalve on the tank before I go tearing out the multivalve and pump to put it in the new tank....

Side note, been pretty under the weather the past couple days... think a bug made it home from school from my little one.... hoping to do some tomorrow night if I have the energy...

Side note, been pretty under the weather the past couple days... think a bug made it home from school from my little one.... hoping to do some tomorrow night if I have the energy...

Lay back and rest. Or be like me and cram 18 different types of meds and a red bull and keep moving like nothings wrong.... :D Hey it works sometimes....

Maybe if I can get something of mine accomplished I could cruise the TDI up and give you a hand one day! We can get this baby rollin! My schedule is just really wierd so finding that one day to do it might be fun......

That would be cool, I have one weekend a month without my daughter so it would have to be then I'm sure...

I figure I am about a week behind on the truck, have not touched it this week.... but hey thats life... health first.

Hey DR, my kids are all grown and gone. Now I miss the little pukes!

For ten years I worked as a nurse in an Emergency department. No one ever died wishing they got their hot rod finished! :)

A week behind is like on schedule around here man. You are doing great!

Remember, don't sweat the petty stuff... or is it don't pet the sweaty stuff? I don't know[S you know what I mean.

gold03

Still not a bunch of energy to work on the truck, but I at least cut all the plates tonight after work for the front axle spring mounts, I got one tacked together, but ran into some issues in my mind with the bushings and bolt sizes and I posted it in Suspension Q&A...

I'll get some pics tomorrow night when I get more done...

I am hoping by the end of the weekend to hopefully have the front end at least mocked up with the axle in place.

Thanks Clay... I'm feeling better about it today, got some more done.

I tack welded in the brackets for the trans cross member, and bolted it up to the frame and trans mount so the full weight of the engine and transmission is on the frame.

I also tack welded up the second spring mount for the axle(these are just basic right now until mockup is done, then much more will go into them) and put the full weight of the truck on the mounts to see how much the spring deflects. As it sits it looks like I am almost 2" too high on ride height with the spring on the bottom of the frame. So my plan B was to put the spring inside the frame rail, if necessary.

(And for safety sake, the jack stands are under the frame still about 1/8" below, and the rear wheels are chocked just in case something happened with the spring/jack, etc) ;)

Anyhow, on to the pics.

Attachments

• DSC04856.jpg
    DSC04856.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC04857.jpg
    DSC04857.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC04858.jpg
    DSC04858.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC04859.jpg
    DSC04859.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04860.jpg
    DSC04860.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC04861.jpg
    DSC04861.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC04862.jpg
    DSC04862.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 71
Nice work! Looks good. I'm looking forward to seeing this set up.

Gold03

You and me both, once it can roll, I'll probably put some blocks in the rear to set the rear at ride height and roll it outside and take some pics.... If I put the springs in on the rear it will sit up too high since I don't have all the weight of the tank and other things so I dunno maybe I'll put them in anyway and let it sit up like the Roth renderings [cl[cl

Cut all the steel for the front suspension mounts tonight, and if I have the energy I might go out and work on it, but probably not til tomorrow... Keep waiting ;P

Hey DR

I have a question going back to when you chopped the roof. When you cut the roof you made comment on how the roof sprung. Which way did it try to go? I assume it tried to flatten out, and that each of the four sections wanted to flatten out.

I'm wondering about the value of bracing the roof sections prior to cutting the roof off and into sections.

Gold03

It actually tries to curve more, not flatten out.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably make some pieces with a slip roll out of thicker material and tack them to the areas next to where I was cutting to try to help keep the shape or something...

Side note: not looking good for garage time, had to take the daily up for some tire work, 1 tire keeps going low, and needed to rotate and balance... and also have to be somewhere at 1... and dinner later for my cousin.... so we will see, maybe when I get home, but doubtful, looks like it will be a Sunday garage day...

It actually tries to curve more, not flatten out.

Interesting. I might do as you say and make something to hold the shape before I cut the roof. I could use card board to make a template then fabricate a sheet metal or plywood buck to hold the shape when cut. If done right it might be of some assistance getting all four corners lined up again.

This explains why you had the jack under the roof.

Gold03

Latest posts

Back